Start clip at 1:20
Dear Walt Disney,
When I was younger I loved to spend hours watching your movies, dressing up like your princesses, and buying your products. I spent countless Halloweens dressing as various princesses, and dreaming to one day find a prince like they did. In the past I could be swept away with the movies, it felt like I was the princess finding her true love. Today however it’s not the case, I can’t really get into the movie like I could when I was a child. When I watch the movie today I cannot help but notice the things wrong with all of the movies. One of my favorite movies to watch when I was little was Pocahontas, the story of a Native American girl who faces many obstacles to hold onto her true love. I recently watched the movie again and found a couple of things that bother me today that I didn’t notice in the past. The first thing that I had an issue with in the movie was the conversation with Pocahontas and her father. In the film her father tells her that a warrior has asked for her hand in marriage, Pocahontas doesn’t want to marry him and expresses this to her father. He however tells her that she is an important part of the tribe and must learn to act as such. He even goes as far as to sing a song about the need for all things to one day conform. He pays no mind to her dreams and wants, instead using guilt and authority to get her to conform. The next issue I had in the movie was the problem both sides had with Pocahontas and John falling in love. Her tribe tried to murder him, Pocahontas had to be willing to give her life for him before anyone took the time to think about either of them and their feelings. The final problem I had with the movie was the ending they had her offer her life for him but never truly closed the story. The movie alludes to Pocahontas and John still being in love but ultimately separating, and being okay with it. Disney while I love to watch the movies you produce I can’t help but notice the messages you send to millions of children. Are we supposed to want to be these girls? Girl's who are willing to give up their lives, and families to keep a man. I will always watch your movies and plan to let my children watch them as well but I hope that in the future you think about the things that go into your films, and the ways they can be interpreted to today’s youth.
No comments:
Post a Comment