Sunday, November 6, 2011

Occupy Oakland: Police VS Protestors

Our objective for this weekend’s blog post was to find a picture of an occupy Oakland protestor in pain and to examine it from all viewpoints. Looking through the many pictures of injuries one that stuck out for me was of a young man that had been hit with a rubber bullet during the protests. His picture was taken and uploaded to the occupy Oakland twitter page.
        

       If I was a protestor or supporter of the protests looking at this picture I would imagine that I was the victim. I would connect with him and feel a great amount of sympathy for his pain. I would also experience anger at the police for using so much force on unarmed protestors like him. Though they used rubber bullets I would care, I would only see his injury. The fresh, open wound that I can only imagine is horrible painful would only add fuel to my fire. From the views as a protestor I would want to continue on his behalf, so that his injury wasn’t for nothing.
               On the other hand if I was opposed to the protests I would view this picture very differently. Looking at the photo I would feel sympathy for his pain but anger at the protestors as well. I would see the face of a man who was aiding in a violent and aggressive protest that needed to be handled. The fact that he was protesting and actively taking part would cause me to have less sympathy for him. He put himself into that position with the knowledge that injury could happen. I would also see a man that was not shot with an actual bullet merely a rubber bullet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment