Sunday, September 11, 2011

The Media and Me

This week in class we were given the task of finding a media or text that depicts ourselves, and our community. After trying for hours to find a movie or song that would define me I realized that just one thing wouldn’t depict me as a whole. I believe that I am full of diversity and that one type of media could never completely describe me. Music in particular is used to describe people, but it only describes how a person is feeling at a particular moment, not who they are throughout life. I listen to music when I’m happy and sad, but the types of music are far from similar. The idea of somehow finding media or text to define my community is also very difficult. Our community is made up of individuals that all have different beliefs and feelings that are almost never the same. While it is hard to find a point in time that the community shares the same feelings it is not impossible. Today for instance is a day that our community will always remember. Everyone at some point in the day will think back to the horrible events that occurred and relive the grief that they felt and will always feel on this day. Just by going on YouTube you can find a multitude of videos that pay tribute to those who died, much like this one. 


               I believe that it is impossible to find media to define myself and my community that will last, but it is possible to find media that describes people and community at a certain point in time. If it were possible to find one type of media to depict us as a person there wouldn’t be the many other types of media that we have. Sure Taylor Swift can define teen girls when they suffer heart break, but can she define those girls in ten years when their life is completely different? Media defines us at certain time in our lives, sometimes we relive these moments but these moments are not who we are. It is my belief that there is not just one type of media or text that will define me or my community, but rather a list of media that depicts who we are at particular times. 


3 comments:

  1. Do you see anything that portrays your culture or americans on tv

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see any thing on television that really depicts Americans or my culture. I believe that were all to diverse to be described by one movie or tv show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like your post. I can relate totally to your points! Thus, I don't really have a question, but I will say that great minds think alike. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete